Monday, November 29, 2010

putting it on a map



Hello friends!

Over the past few months, I have answered a lot of questions about what I will be doing with my life for the next year. One question I have heard over and over is "Where is Namibia again?"

Since many of us have not taken geography in several years and Namibia is not a huge news maker, I decided to include a map here. The village I will be living in, Ogongo, is about 50 km northwest of Oshakati. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Oshakati is a much larger town where I can get just about anything I need.

As you can see, I will be pretty far north and have easy access to Angola and hopefully Botswana. I will not be too far from Etosha National Park (a popular safari destination) and will definitely make time to travel to Victoria Falls! Because of my placement, getting to South Africa is more of a trek, but definitely a possibility.

Facts and Figures about Ogongo, Namibia

About Ogongo, Namibia
Time zoneWest Africa Time
Time change from UTC*UTC+0100
A resident is a...Namibian
Geographic Information
PopulationUnspecified
CountryNamibia
RegionOmusati
TypeCity
Latitude-17.66667
Longitude15.28333
Latitude (DMS)15° 17' 0'
Longitude (DMS)-17° -40' 0'
I believe the term 'city' is used loosely here...

Anyway, I hope this information gives you a better idea of where I will be geographically. I will have a mailing address (most likely the address of my school) that I will post as soon as I get the 'ok' I am waiting for.

It is now officially one month until my departure...please hang out with me. Call me. See me soon. 'Tis the season for giving so keep my fundraising going :)

Much love,
h


3 comments:

  1. It's going to be an awesome trip! Life is very different over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i'm sure! i appreciate the support! hope everything is going well with the baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the geography lesson, very helpful. Getting so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete